You are here

Home
Kade Doris Samson-CRN
Tuesday, January 8, 2019 - 15:38
The government is still expecting Vivacell Company to come back for negotiations before its frequency is given out to any other company.
 
Vivacell was shut down last year because of its non-compliance with government policy concerning connection of international calls.
 
The suspension of the network has not only affected the company, but also Vivacel users and put pressure to the existing mobile network.
 
Information Minister Michael Makuei Lueth told CRN that they started negotiations with Vivacel last year, but it could not continue because of Easter holiday.
 
He says since then, the company did not come back to discuss.
 
“Early December, they {Vivacel Company} sent me someone and they said they don’t want to negotiate in South Sudan. I said its okay; you negotiate in any country provided that you bear the cost. They did not come back. And again they requested that they want to come and negotiate but up to now they did not come. Anyway, we are expecting them to come for negotiations. In case they don’t come, then we will give out their frequency to any other company”, Makuei stressed.
 
 
Executive Director for Responsive Governance, Rajab Mohandis says the closure of Vivacel Company has put pressure to MTN and Zain Companies leading to poor service delivery.
 
“The absence of one of these telephone companies has put more pressure on the two that are operating. So they are overwhelmed by the customers that use their services and because of this pressure, they are not able to effectively deliver services. However, this is something that can be addressed” he said.
 
CRN could not reach Vivacell for comments.
 

Catholic Radio Network

SCBC General Secretariat
PO Box 258
Hai Jerusalem
Juba - South Sudan
catholicradionetwork.org

+211 0924217188
+211 0910564038
+211 0954005487